Various additional choices are available for recreation in the area. They include train trips, underground cavern tours, historical building and museum tours and many more.
Boat/Jet Ski Rental
Classic Aircraft Rides
Cross Country Skiing
Snowmobiles (rental and trails)
All Year Activities
Rail Excursion (some dates and trips offer dinner and/or entertainment)
Antique Stores (can be found in some of the following towns)
Water Oriented Activities
This area is surrounded by many exciting water recreational activities. From scuba diving and whitewater rafting to boating on the lake or canoeing down the river, it's all close by. There are abundant public fishing areas as well and a state fish hatchery. The links below will give you a sampling of what our region has to offer.
- Eagles Nest Outfitters- Offers Canoe, Ducky and Kayak Rentals with shuttle included for varying experiences, from whitewater to scenic river floats.
- Mount Storm Lake- If you own a boat, there is no launch fee at this lake and good scuba diving both summer and winter. The lake never freezes.
- Deep Creek Lake- A very busy lake with many vacationers and plentiful recreation. Speed boats are available for rent (reservations suggested).
- Jennings Randolph Lake- Another option if you have your own boat. Nearby Deep Creek, but much less congested.
- Savage River State Forrest and Lake- An impressive Dam, huge lake and wilderness type setting. Boats are limited (no speed boats allowed).
- New River Gorge- From whitewater rafting to zip lines, ATV tours and mountain biking, there's a lot more here than the famous bridge.
Cheat River Outfitters
- Whitewater on the Cheat, Youghiogheny, North Potomac & Savage rivers plus caving and paintball.
- Whitewater on the Cheat, Youghiogheny, Tygart & Savage rivers plus Biking at Ohiopyle and Rock Climbing.
- Float and Whitewater rafting on the Cheat, Youghiogheny, Potomac, Big Sandy & Savage rivers .
(All Links are intended to provide sample options and is not meant to be a comprehensive list. Man Place is not connected with or advocating any attraction)
There are countless state and federal parks in the region, the majority of which have no entrance fee. Most have great hiking and picnic areas, but many have other attractions as well. Some feature waterfalls, others the feel of the wilderness or virgin forest. Still others have rock climbing, restaurants or boating. Each one is a unique experience.
- Seneca Rocks and Spruce Knob- Seneca Rocks features world class climbing, a visitors center, 1800s Cabin and fantastic overlook. A drive through the mountains away is Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. It seems like you can see forever in any direction from this vantage point.
- Blackwater Falls- One of the state's most popular parks features a large waterfall, picnic area, restaurant, horseback riding and many hiking trails.
- Canaan Valley- Nearby Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valleys has picnic areas, hiking and skiing in the winter. Ski lift operates in the summer for the views.
- Lost River- Lost River features horseback riding, hiking and many picnic areas.
- Cathedral- You will likely see some of the oldest and largest trees in the eastern half of the country here. There is a nice picnic area under some of them.
- New Germany- This park offers a pool, lake, hiking, picnic areas and in the winter, cross country skiing, sledding and snowshoeing.
- Swallow Falls- Besides the falls, there are numerous hiking trails and picnic areas. A small entrance fee applies at this park.
- Savage River State Forrest and Lake- Besides the water, this park has an extensive network of trails for a day or multi-day hike with backpack camping.
- Dolly Sods- A favorite for wilderness hikers and a great drive into the wilderness. The area is open seasonally with a truck or SUV recommended.
- C&O Canal- Stretching from Cumberland MD to Washington DC this old boat canal is now a hiking, biking and recreational destination.
- Rock Gap State Park - A Maryland state park with a lake, hiking trails and a casino.
- Deep Creek State Park - On a very developed recreational lake, this state park features swimming in the lake, camping and hiking.
- Dan's Mountain - A mountain park with a pool, picnic sites and hiking.
- Big Run State Park - Located by Savage River State Forest, this park features hiking, camping and a boat launch into the lake.
- Cassleman Bridge - A small state park featuring picnicking and located nearby an artisan village, restaurant, and a working grist mill.
- Herrington Manor - A park offering both winter and summer activities including cross country skiing, kayaks and canoes with equipment rentals.
- Great Allegheny Passage - A biking trail from Cumberland MD to Pittsburgh PA.
- Garrett Trails - A collection of recreational trails located nearby Deep Creek Lake and the ski resort.
- Potomac State Forest - A Maryland State Forest that includes forest roads, hiking trails and beautiful scenery surrounding the upper Potomac river.
- Green Ridge State Forest - This State Forest is the largest block of public land in Maryland and features hiking, biking and driving tours.
- Garrett State Forest - Features cross country skiing, campsites, fishing, hiking trails, historic interest, hunting, riding trails and snowmobiling.
- George Washington National Forest - Federal forest lands in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia.
- Monongalia National Forest - Federal forest lands primarily in the mountains of West Virginia.
- Wilderness Areas - Specially designated areas of the US Forest Service lands that are without structures, roads or blazed trails.